Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The things the glossy sailing magazines don't tell you - Day 947


I had huge buck teeth. I spent many many hours at the orthodontist office enraptured, mouth open, looking at some of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. Stacks and stacks of sailing magazines with sailboats slicing the water with immense power, yet delicate and peaceful at the same time. Everything in the magazine is beautiful, even the rigging is like jewelry. Later I subscribed to a few (5) sailing magazines. Even more beautiful things. Then you get the boat. You find out about all the things they don't tell you in the magazines. Flies, seasickness, sunburn, cramped, constant repairs, small beds, lack of privacy these are a few of my favorite things. Sailing is all of these things and more. In my buck teeth days I loved the machinery of sailing. In my boat owning days, the machinery means less and less. It is the relationships that make the boat, not the things the magazines show you. The flies bring you together.

No comments: