Thursday, July 30, 2009

Have you driven in a Fjord lately?

Today we left Qaqortoq with heavy hearts. We met a family with kids and ended up spending two evenings with them, delaying our departure for a day. We had a great time getting to know them. Lasse and his beautiful wife Tara and their three kids were here from Denmark so that Lasse could be a fill-in dentist. They were having a great adventure in Greenland and we got to share some of it with them. It was hard to leave. We sailed/motored for five hours up a couple of fjords to the town of Nassauq. This town has a completely different feel than Qaqortoq in that it is less geared up for tourism. A couple of people came over to greet us upon our arrival here, and I immediately took my chart out and started asking questions about my next day's route which wasn't making any sense according to the pilot book. They all knew exactly where I had to go, and let me know I was missing the correct chart. (This all happened in sign language) They told me where to buy it, and when I found the store was out of that chart, the captain of one of the whaling ships sold me his copy. Our sailing today required that we work our way through a spot of loose ice pack. With everyone on deck using poles, we made it through with nary a scratch.
Today was another day of beautiful sunshine that made the icebergs gleam. Tomorrow we will spend more time driving in a Fjord.

Rolland for the Trowbridges

No comments: