Saturday, October 15, 2005

Cruiser Wannabe - Day 965


I have no clue. There is so much I have to learn about sailing. The other night I tried my hand at using a gnomonic chart and although I understand what it is for, I don't know how to use it. I don't want to be dependent on the GPS for great circle plotting. If you don't understand the previous sentences, don't worry because two weeks ago I didn't either. When I tell someone that I am planning on sailing around the world one of the first questions I get asked is where I learned how to sail. In past tense. I didn't learn, I am learning how to sail the only way you can - by sailing. So I am a wannabe. I hope that I never reach the point where sailing is old hat like my present job. I like not having a clue. Go ahead, ask me what I am going to do when (insert pirate attack, hurricane, broken bone, fall off boat) happens. I don't know. I read about what you are supposed to do to prepare for these things. I don't know what I am going to do because I have never had these things happen to me. I want to ask everyone else - why are you so afraid of the world? Pirates, sleeping whales and hurricanes are something to prepare for. They are not reasons to stay tied to the dock. So I ready myself for everything that I can, get training where possible and then cast off.
I took a car door apart for the latch this last week at work. Do you want to know what protects you from a side impact event? Open your closet door and look at the rod holding your shirt hangers up. Your car's door has a similar looking device. You might as well ride a motorcycle for all the protection your car gives you for a side impact situation. Now, count up all the intersections you will go through on your way to work. I go through five. Most people go through more. All it takes is one person talking on the cell to miss the red and you are dead. Now compare the chances of highway deaths to cruisers dying at sea. The insurance for the cruiser is less. The cruiser is taking less of a risk. I prefer the latter.

No comments: